Freedom of information Act:
Welcome to the Publication Scheme for Steve Mayer Opticians as required by the Freedom of information Act 2000.
This Publication scheme is a complete guide to the information routinely made available to the public by Steve Mayer Opticians. It is a description of the information about our NHS services that we make publicly available. It will be reviewed at regular intervals and we will monitor its effectiveness.
How much does it cost?
The publications are free unless otherwise indicated. Where information is provided at cost, the charges will be calculated as set out in Class 7.
How is the information made available?
The information within each Class is available in hard copy from:
Steve Mayer Opticians
46a Grosvenor Street
Stalybridge SK15 1RR
or can be printed from this website.
Your Rights to Information
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 is designed to promote openness and accountability amongst all organisations that receive public money.
- From January 1st 2005 it will oblige opticians’ and optometrists’ practices to respond to requests about the NHS related information that it holds, and it will create a right of access to that information. These rights are subject to some exemptions that have to be taken into consideration before releasing information.
- In addition to accessing the information identified in the publication scheme, you are entitled to request information about our NHS services under the NHS Openness Code 1995.
- New environmental information regulations may be introduced as early as 2003. These will enable similar access to environmental information as under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you are also entitled to access your clinical records or any other personal information held about you and you can contact any practice where your records are held to do this.
If you have any comments about the operation of the Publication Scheme, or how we have dealt with your request for information from the scheme, please write to:
Steve Mayer Opticians 46a
Classes of Information
All NHS information at Steve Mayer Opticians is held, retained and destroyed within NHS guidelines. Our commitment to publish information excludes any information that can be legitimately withheld under the exemptions set out in the NHS Openness Code or Freedom of Information Act 2000. From 2005, individual Classes are subject to exemptions, the main reasons being the protection of commercial interests and personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998. This Scheme had been written in accordance with those exemptions. The information on this Scheme is grouped into the following categories:
1) Who we are
- Steve Mayer Opticians was first opened in 1999 in Stalybridge.
- We have one practice at the following address:
Steve Mayer Opticians
46a Grosvenor Street
0161 303 7773
- Details of all the Opticians and Optometrists employed in our practice can be obtained by contacting the practice directly. The Owner, Steve Mayer is registered with the General Optical Council (Registration number 01-12724).
Alternatively, details of all opticians and optometrists registered in the UK are available from the General Optical Council – Tel: 0207 580 3898 and at www.optical.org.
2) Our services
Steve Mayer Opticians provide free NHS eye tests for those who are eligible. You may also be entitled to vouchers that can be used against the purchase of glasses or contact lenses if you require them. To find out if you are eligible for assistance please click here.
Appointments for eye tests can be booked over the phone, or by visiting the practice. For our address, telephone details and opening times click here
3) Financial and funding information
For every eye test performed on behalf of the NHS the opticians practice receives a set fee of £21.71 (as at 1/4/2021). This includes a contribution that is supposed to cover optometrist and staff salaries, equipment costs and other store overheads (but it doesn’t by some margin). If you are not eligible for the NHS eye test, please contact us for details of our current charges.
4) Regular publications and information for the public
A complete set of information about optical and ocular conditions, eye tests, glasses, and contact lenses, can be found on a number of websites including our own (www.mayeropticians.co.uk). Some of this information is available in practice leaflets.
If you have a complaint about any of our products or services, we recommended that you first discuss any problems with any member of staff at the practice. If the matter cannot be resolved in this way or you are unsatisfied with the response you receive please contact owner, Steve Mayer. A full copy of our complaints policy is available on request.
5) Our policies and procedures
These are available on request from the practice.
6) This publication scheme
In this class we will publish any changes we make to this publication scheme, the criteria on which our information management policies are made and a referral point for all enquires regarding information management generally in practice. We will also publish any proposed changes or additions to publications already available.
Cost of Information
For the most part, we will only charge for hard copies, or copies onto media. Charges are as follows and will be reviewed regularly.
- Accessed from our website – free of charge
- Single hard copies – free of charge
- Multiple hard copies, or archived copies will attract a charge for photocopying, retrieval and postage. We will inform you of the cost of these charges that will have to be paid in advance.
E-mail will be free of charge.
Part 3. Useful Resources Websites:
Department for Constitutional Affairs
NHS Openness Code www.doh.gov.uk/nhsexec/codemain.htm
Freedom of Information Act 2000 www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/20000036.htm Copyright: Material available through this publication scheme is copyright unless otherwise indicated. Unless expressly indicated to the contrary, it may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is done so accurately in a manner that will not mislead. Where items are re-published or copied to other, you must identify the source and acknowledge copyright status. This permit does not extend to third party material, accessed through the scheme. For HMSO Guidance notes see www.hmso.gov.uk/guides.htm